How to buy

Date: 8 Jan 2020 - 1 Oct 2020
Updated: 1 Oct 2020
Type: Whole of government

Online catalogues

Card fuel users can access pricing,  reporting and other benefits such as early payment discounts on FUELnet.

To get access to FUELnet, please contact the NSW Procurement Service Centre.


Standard payment terms with all suppliers on contract are 21 days from the end of the month. Discounts for early payment within 7 and 14 days are available. For details, refer to the FUELnet website.

Third party purchasing

Clause 6 of the Public Works and Procurement Regulation 2019 allows the NSW Procurement Board to provide access to suppliers of public sector bodies to state contracts standing offer agreements for the provision of goods and services. These suppliers are known as Nominee Purchasers. The public sector bodies making the nominations are known as Nominating Agencies.

'Nominee Purchaser' means a supplier to a public sector agency, nominated by the public sector agency to be authorised to place Orders under Standing Offer Agreements for works done as such a supplier and registered by NSW Procurement.

Access of nominee purchasers to NSW Government contracts standing offer agreements:

  • is limited to standing offer agreements relevant to the contract between the nominating agency and the nominee purchaser, and which are specifically listed in the nominee purchaser’s registration and
  • is for a fixed period of registration, usually ending on the completion of the term of the contract between the nominating agency and the nominee purchaser.

A nominee purchaser must not purchase goods or services under a NSW Government contract standing offer agreement, unless they are related to its obligations under a contract with a public sector agency and are used during the term of such a contract or included or incorporated in works, goods or services to be provided to the public sector bodies.

Frequently asked questions

Who is contracted to supply fuel purchases using fuel cards?

Caltex, VivaEnergy and BP are the suppliers for purchases made using fuel cards. They provide all petrol, diesel and LPG and 10% ethanol blended fuel (E10) products where available.

How much are card fees in the contract?

Under the previous supply arrangement card fees were absorbed into the contract price of fuel. In the new card fuel contract fees are transparent. A transaction fee of $0.22 inclusive of GST will apply on all Caltex transactions. BP and VivaEnergy do not apply a transaction fee.

What are the payment terms of the new contract?

For information regarding individual suppliers’ payment terms please refer to the supplier notes. It is the intention that agencies will move to direct debiting as soon as possible.  All new non-government accounts will be required to pay by direct debit. Direct debit is a method of paying accounts automatically. The customer authorises the supplier to receive payment automatically on the due date for payment through the transfer of funds from the customer’s bank account to the supplier’s bank account. There are no additional costs in this process, but it does ensure that accounts are paid automatically by the due date and that administration costs are kept to a minimum.

To provide authorisation, completed direct debit forms are available from the supplier and can be faxed, mailed or emailed to the supplier concerned. However, the original application must still be mailed, as banks will not accept faxed or photocopied signatures.

What are the customer’s obligations and rights?

The fuel contract contains comprehensive conditions of contract. Customers as well as suppliers have commercial obligations to which they must adhere. Details of these obligations can be found in the conditions of contract posted on the FUELnet website.

Registration of customers

Products may only be supplied in the terms of this contract to those customer organisations which are registered with NSW Procurement as authorised users of state contracts. Should your organisation be unsure as to whether it is eligible to use state contracts or if you are unsure of your organisation’s eligible customer number, please contact the NSW Procurement Service Centre for assistance.

Vehicles eligible to use the fuel contract

Privately registered vehicles are NOT eligible to be fueled under the fuel contract. Only vehicles registered in the name of the authorised customer organisation are eligible.

Quantities or prices in dispute

Customers must pay the full amounts shown on invoices and statements rendered by suppliers, subject only to the deduction of any items in dispute which shall be notified by the customer to the supplier in writing.

Lost or stolen cards

Customers must immediately report to the relevant suppliers details of any cards which are lost or stolen so they can be hot listed to prevent any further use. Customers are liable for all purchases made on such cards up to the time they are reported as lost or stolen.

Fuel card usage

Customers can purchase fuel in NSW on oil company supplied fuel cards from any service station which accepts the oil company card across NSW. Most branded service stations will accept the fuel cards issued by their supplying oil company. A Caltex card can only be used at a Caltex service station, whilst a Shell E10 card may be used at Coles Express in addition to Shell outlets. The only exception to this is where an independently branded service station advertises that they also accept Caltex fuel cards.

Australia-wide purchases using the fuel contract

Purchases can be made throughout Australia using fuel cards issued under the NSW State Government contract at the contract prices.

How does a customer establish a new fuel card account?

  1. Ensure that the organisation is registered with NSW Procurement as a customer. If you are unsure about this, please contact the NSW Procurement Service Centre.
  2. Determine which supplier the organisation would like to receive fuel cards for.
  3. The card fuel application forms are available to download from the FUELnet website. You will need your NSWBuy identification number and the number of vehicles which cards will be ordered for.
  4. Complete the forms and direct them back to the supplier, whose details will be located on the application forms. Note that privately registered vehicles are not eligible for fuel cards under the contract.

The main types of fuel cards which are available are:

  • Vehicle card: the registration of the vehicle is embossed on the card.
  • Personal card: the name of the driver is embossed on the card.

While other types of cards are available, it should be noted that they have lower levels of security. It is possible to have only the organisation’s name embossed on a card, although it is recommended that a personal identification number (PIN) is used with these cards. Additionally, each card may have limitations imposed, such as volume, dollar value or product limitations.

How can a customer cancel a fuel card?

Fuel cards that are no longer required must be cancelled and destroyed in accordance with individual departmental guidelines. Customers will be held liable for all purchases made on unwanted valid fuel cards which have not been cancelled and destroyed. To cancel a fuel card contact the supplier's customer service centre.

Are any additional charges involved in cancelling or hot listing a fuel card?

The hot listing of a lost or stolen card, together with the cancellation of a card, is free of charge. In the case of cancelled cards, it is the responsibility of the customer to destroy the card.

What are the elements that make up the fuel prices on invoices?

Fuel prices are made up of a number of separate pricing elements. These include:

  • the weekly reference or list price
  • freight differential where applicable (see section 3.8 for details)
  • federal excise.

Do NSW Government customers pay federal excise?

Yes. Federal excise is payable on all major petroleum products including unleaded petrol, and diesel and is payable by all classes of customers including NSW Government customers. Federal excise is included in the prices invoiced by all suppliers. Excise paid on diesel consumed in certain offroad uses and in certain specific industries can be claimed back from the Commonwealth Government via the Australian Tax Office. Refer to the ATO website for more details.

If you use fuel in eligible activities, you may claim a rebate by completing and lodging a registration and initial application form with the Australian Tax Office. You can obtain a form by ringing the Diesel Fuel Infoline on 1300 657 162.

Alternatively, you can obtain these forms from the ATO website. The ATO will send you ‘claim for rebate’ forms to make further claims.

What are freight differentials and where do they apply?

Freight differentials are costs added to the prices of petroleum products to reflect the freight cost of delivering those products. Freight differentials can be viewed by accessing the FUELnet website.

What Treasurer’s directions apply to government fuel purchases?

There are Treasurer’s directions which are relevant to expenditure and payment for vehicle petroleum supplies:

  • payment of claims for into-vehicle petroleum supplies (TD89/2)
  • use of petro-credit cards for rented vehicles (TD86/4)

View the Treasurer’s directions.

Where can I access fuel contract rates and how?

The contract rates are available on FUELnet, a website established by the NSW Government specifically to cater to the needs of fuel customers. Customers need to obtain a login and password to access FUELnet. Please contact the NSW Procurement Service Centre if you need access to FUELnet.